Monday, July 5, 2010

Your Definately To Bad at Grammer Too Be Taken Seriously

If you are in high school or have graduated high school, you have most likely taken a few basic English courses throughout your life. Now, assuming you did not sleep through these required courses, you should have been exposed to the basic rules of grammar and spelling to ensure that you do not embarrass yourself with your lack of writing skills later in life. Apparently, these courses were also given to ensure that you may communicate effectively with other people.

After much observation, however, it seems that most people over the age of 15 have forgotten almost everything that they ever learned about grammar. So, to refresh their memories, I have compiled a list of the most vile grammar infractions that the English-speaking world has ever known.

*The word is "definitely" - not definately, defiantly, etc. In fact, there is no "a" in the word at all. So, stop putting one in it.

*Too, To, & Two: It really isn't that difficult. Two = 2. (I definitely have two eyes.)
Too = adverb. (I definitely have too much time on my hands.)
To = mostly used as a preposition (I am definitely going to the movies tonight.); also used to indicate that the following verb is an infinitive (I cannot wait to go to the movies tonight.)

*Your vs. You're: This is quite simple. You're: (contraction) You + Are (You're definitely the worst speller I've ever met.)
Your: indicates something belongs to "you," whoever "you" is. (Your spelling is the worst I've ever seen.)

*There, Their, & They're: This one is a little bit more tricky.
Their: shows possession (I hope their house doesn't flood.)
They're: (contraction) They + Are (They're the coolest people I know.)
There: This one covers everything else. (I have seen that sign over there before. Let's go there for our next vacation.)

*A lot. "A lot" = two words.

*Than vs. Then: Yes, this is confusing, but it is not impossible.
Than: *I am two years older than you are.
*I would rather sleep in my bed than sleep in a tent.
Then: *If you are a slow learner, then you should take notes.
*He had a wreck two years ago. Since then, he's been driving more carefully.

*Fewer vs. Less: Fewer is used to refer to things that can be counted. (M&M's, cows, eyes, cars, etc.) Example: I have fewer shoes than you have.
Less is used to refer to something that cannot be counted. (gas, memory, power, etc.) Example: I have less fear than you have.

*Its vs. It's: It's = It + is (It's cold outside.)
Its = to show possession/ownership (Its home is in Georgia.)

These are just a few of the horrible grammar and spelling mistakes that I see quite frequently. If you commit any of these grammar crimes, you will be judged.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!
    The title is hilarious, the examples are hilarious, and your just two funny :)

    ReplyDelete